Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 31 - Caramel Apple Pie

The Caramel Apple Pie was one of the best pies I've ever had. It was amazing! Rich, but exquisitely amazing.

  • 1 double pie crusts
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 5 cups thinly sliced apples
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 20 caramels, halved (I reduced the number of caramels)
  • 2 tablespoons milk

I believe this was my first attempt at a dessert in 2011. I had needed to find some useful purpose for the apples that John and I picked this past fall. This recipe seemed too good to pass up. I would compare the apples to the Gala apple; it's crispy with a hint of sweetness as well as a bite of tartness.

It was absolutely perfect in consistency. There wasn't even that much of a need for all of the caramels. I think it probably would have been too sweet had I used all 20 caramels.

I am still in amazement. I don't even like apple pie that much. This recipe completely changed my outlook. It's not very often that one single event can have that much of an impact on an already established preference.

I am going to give this recipe a 9.5 out of 10 stars. I would have given it a 10 if I actually gave out 10 stars - but I don't! There is nothing that I would change in this rendition of an apple pie. Now I just need to find justification to make it more than once a year. It's tough making rich desserts frequently when one lives alone. It's just too much sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment