Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 28 - Exquisite Pizza Sauce

Here is my first attempt at a "regular" homemade tomato-based pizza sauce. Once again, I acquired this from allrecipes.com.

  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 6 fluid ounces warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
  • salt to taste

This was a serviceable attempt. I would use this again as a base recipe. However, it needs a bit of tweaking. Tomato paste has a tendency to be a bit strong in flavor. It needed a bit more depth in flavor and less tomato pastiness. Perhaps I should follow the original recipe and put in anchovy paste... Just kidding! Perhaps...

Unfortunately, I failed at updating my blog in a timely manner; shame on me! As a result, I don't really know with certainty what could be done to this pizza sauce to make it "pop". However, it was good enough to try again in the future. Now I just need to acquire a pizza stone and I should be one step closer to the perfect homemade pizza.

Given it's usefulness as a base recipe and my willingness to make it again, I am going to give this attempt a 6.5* stars out of 10.

*I can only base the rating on a distant memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment