Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 36 - Chili

This was a random attempt at chili. I didn't follow a recipe of any kind.

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • 1 can of tomato sauce
  • 1 TBSP chili pepper
  • dash of white pepper
  • dash of cayenne pepper
  • 1-1/2 tsp of cumin
  • 1-2 cups of tomato juice
  • salt and pepper to taste

This was pretty good. I think I am still waiting for that recipe that knocks my socks off. This was serviceable but not superb. I think I would like to try making it with steak next time. I also think I rely too much on chili powder. I need to build the base of flavors with different spices. I have seen chili made with beer and coffee. This perhaps is something to consider.

Overall, I will give this recipe 6.5 stars out of 10. Improvement is needed but it offers a decent base for chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment