Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 30 - Chicken Pot Pie

I had never made anything like a Chicken Pot Pie before. In the past, had there been a top and bottom crust, it was immediately classified as a dessert. This was a pleasant change-up.

  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 1 cup frozen green peas
  • 1-1/2 cup cubed potatoes
  • 1/2 cup sliced celery
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts

Overall, this was a good first attempt at a chicken pot pie. The flavor was rich and satisfying. It was also insanely filling; I couldn't eat more than one piece. I added cubed potatoes to the original recipe. I think my only complaint was that the filling seemed a bit too thick. If I were to make this again, I would use less flour than what is called for and perhaps a bit more milk. I want the sauce to just oooooze!

I will give this recipe 7.5 stars out of 10. It definitely has potential for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment