Sunday, August 7, 2011

Week 24 - Easy Szechuan Chicken

This definitely was not as good as a few of my previous Chinese-inspired meals. I added more vegetables that what the original recipe called for. I also had to use red wine vinegar instead of white wine vinegar. White wine vinegar is supposed to be a bit sweeter. I don't know if that would have changed the inherent flavor of my meal by much at all. I tried to add a bit more sugar to make up for that issue.

  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 head of broccoli
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • 5 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (I only had red wine vinegar)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 3 green onions, sliced diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste

I never got the opportunity to try the leftovers for this meal. I made it but then never had the opportunity to try it again for various reasons.

Overall, it did not give a good first impression. I will probably stick with the stir fry recipes that have been successful in the past. I am going to give this recipe 4 stars out of 10. The red wine vinegar just didn't do it any favors. Also, I have never had much luck when dredging meat in cornstarch. That perhaps could be changed in the future as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment