Sunday, August 7, 2011

Week 17 - Tangy Beef Sandwiches

I cheated on this recipe. I stole it from my mother. However, given that it was new to me, I decided that I could use it in my 52 Recipes blog. I am way behind as it is. We ran across this recipe when I loudly asserted that I did not want Lloyd's BBQ for a family function. I instead suggested that we try a homemade version. This is the result of her search. I made it for the first time for myself back in late May.

  • 3 cups chopped celery
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1 cup low sodium ketchup
  • 1 cup low sodium barbecue sauce (Baby Ray's)
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 4-lb lean boneless chuck roast

Overall, I wouldn't really change a thing with this recipe. It doesn't have a strong BBQ flavor which can be quite refreshing. In comparison, when eating Lloyd's BBQ, it's very unlikely that one will desire more than 1.5 sandwiches. The flavor of Lloyd's is just so overpowering.

I give this 8 stars out of 10. There is always room for improvement; however, this is a very strong base recipe. The leftovers are equally as tasty. I believe that I had used bakery rolls when I had made it. It's always important to choose a chewier roll given that the sauce is a bit juicier. Anyway, I will definitely make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment