Sunday, May 22, 2011

Week 14 - Breakfast Enchilada

So we had a brunch for Easter. I rarely make breakfast; this is definitely a problem... The only breakfast casserole that I have made and enjoy was the same casserole that my mother was intending to take. As a result, I turned to the trusty Allrecipes.com website.

The best that I could come up with was Breakfast Enchiladas. The egg mixture soaks into the rolled tortillas overnight. This gives the impression that the tortillas were rolled with egg in them.

  • 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 10 (8 inch) flour tortillas
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 6 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Overall, I think it was a good breakfast meal. However, it's not something that I will likely crave. I don't really know why that is the case. I made this recipe once the week before Easter and on Easter Sunday itself. In the second attempt, I added onion, green pepper and red pepper. That certainly improved the flavor. In the end, I think my palate is becoming disenchanted with store-bought flour tortillas. At some point, I will need to attempt a homemade tortilla. Perhaps that would have improved the overall quality...

Anyway, I give this recipe 6 stars out of 10. It was good but just didn't have that magical culinary "oomph". I definitely would take my mother's farmers' casserole over this option any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment