Friday, January 28, 2011

Week 4 - Italian Style Meatloaf

Well I am quite impressed with myself. I am still going strong at Week 4 of my 52 new recipe challenge. For Week 4, I made an Italian Style Meatloaf. I must admit, it was the best meatloaf I've ever had. (However, it's still meatloaf :-))  Meatloaf is just one of those recipes that requires that you have an acquired taste for it. 

Here are the ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon Italian-style seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

I didn't make any changes to the recipe.  It didn't even require ketchup as a condiment when all was said and done.  My only mistake in making this recipe was not appropriately timing the side dishes with the main meal.  The meatloaf was removed from the oven prior to the side dishes being done.  However, this meatloaf definitely needed to cook longer than the hour that the recipe recommended.  Had I known that, I would have cooked the meatloaf until the side dishes were ready.  It would have solved the problem. 

I would give this a 7 out of 10 stars.  It is definitely worth making again if I ever happen to be craving meatloaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment