Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Week 2 - Butter Chickpea Curry

For Week 2, I made a Butter Chickpea Curry. This recipe certainly was much more of a success. This again was from allrecipes.com. However, I am quite perplexed on the title of the recipe. What does butter have to do with anything here?

 
  • 4 medium potatoes, cubed
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 2 teaspoons garam masala
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1 (12 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

 
I only made one change to the recipe. The original recipe used 1 can of condensed tomato soup but I decided to replace that with diced tomatoes. It just seems that curry recipes need a more acidic sauce than tomato soup.

 
Overall, I liked this recipe. It is even better the second day. I do hae one criticism; it wasn't quite as spicy as I prefer. It seems like it may have needed a bit of tumeric as well. I also should have cooked the spices in the oil a bit longer than what I did. That, I read, is one key to a tasty curry. I had purchased a jalapeno as an extra ingredient. I was a bit dismayed when I had realized that I had forgotten said pepper. It wasn't the end of the world.

 
I am going to rate this 8 stars out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment