Sunday, October 7, 2012

Week 43 - Toasty Deli Hoagies

My goodness, this was a tasty sandwich. If I owned a deli, I would definitely include this as an option on the menu. It would work well in almost any restaurant that serves lunch.
  • 1 loaf (1lb) French bread
  • 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 lb thinly sliced deli turkey (flavor of choice) I used peppercorn crusted.
  • 1/2 lb thinly sliced deli ham. I used honey ham.
  • 6 slice hard salami
  • 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienne
  • 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 lb sliced provolone cheese
  • 1-1/2 cups guacamole
You toast the bread in the oven even prior to stacking the ingredients. Then after stacking everything but the gaucamole, you bake it an additional 7-8 minutes and then broil for 3 minutes so that the cheese is lightly browned.

The mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic sauce combination worked quite well. It added that elusive magical pop to that sandwich. There really isn't anything that I would change about this recipe.

The first rendition was delicious. I can think of so many purposes for this sandwich. I think it's going to be on the menu for my next tailgate get together.

I think it would be interesting to experiment by adding banana peppers or jalapenos. It might also be tasty with pepper jack cheese. There are definitely variations that one can try. Even by switching up the peppers, from yellow to red or orange, it might contrast nicely.

Overall, I will give this 8.5 out of 10 stars. The sandwich gets a bit big and can be difficult to eat. Other than that, there are no complaints from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment