Sunday, March 27, 2011

Week 9 - Jambalaya

Oh man, I am really behind. Jambalaya was the second (in one week) new recipe that I made a couple weeks ago. Despite cheating a bit on the Zatarin's rice mix, this was a really tasty recipe.

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can regular diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 (8 ounce) package ZATARAIN'S® Jambalaya Mix
  • 1 (12 ounce) package andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices

The original recipe called for shrimp but I am way too cheap to experiment with expensive food in new concoctions. I will give shrimp a try the next time that I throw this one together. Other than that, I didn't change anything from the original recipe.

I don't have much to say other than this was a very acceptable rendition of jambalaya. It had perfect moisture content. Usually Zatarin's rice alone doesn't keep well for a second meal. However, with the addition of the diced tomatoes, it created a mixture perfect for leftovers. The diced tomatoes truly made the meal.

I will definitely make this again sometime. I will give it 8 stars out of 10. I am not sure if there is anything to improve upon this recipe other than to wean myself off of the Zatarin's mix. I would really like to make jambalaya entirely from scratch someday.

That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment